The Jon Venables coverage is pretty revolting all round, but – for once – the BBC’s Have Your Say page is heartening. There are many, many comments standing up for a justice system in which:
- you’re innocent until proven guilty.
- 10 year olds are not treated the same as adults.
- the lynch mob of the tabloids (and those who should know better) is treated with the contempt it deserves.
- sympathy for a victim’s family does not mean giving them whatever they want.
- criminals are people with human rights, no matter what their crime.
For such an emotive issue, there are clearly a lot of people who feel Jack Straw etc. are doing the right thing. So how come they’re all ignored in favour of those who shout medieval bullshit?