2008. Pleh. In my head it went: uni, The Summer of Teenage Angst, uni. But looking over my archives it seems a bit more did go on. Particularly memorable bits:
- Watching Katie Melua on a lovely summer’s evening in Devon.
- Playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
- Splitting up with Abi.
- Losing my regular dance partner, but meeting another (who’s rather better than me).
- Six weeks of ceroc dancing, despite my inability to talk like a normal person.
- Running a dance evening, which scared the hell out of me.
- Mingling with people way out of my league at a Neil Gaiman signing.
- Trying to revamp myself, a bit (as a result of a naive romantic EPIC FAIL).
- Selling my first photo.
- Completing my Year 25 Project (then crashing out of Year 26).
- Seeing James Randi live in London.
- Seeing a whole brigade of humanist awesomeacity at the Bloomsbury.
- Watching Doctor Who, Studio 60, Strictly, 30 Rock and Battlestar Galactica, as well as WALL-E, Hancock, The Dark Knight, and Juno.
- Staying up all night to watch the US election.
- Reading Atul Gawande’s two fantastic books on medicine, which I never got around to reviewing.
- …and I still think Where the Hell is Matt is the best viral video of the year.
Most of which is quite good, really. 2008 got a solid ‘meh’ before I started typing this, but I’ve now upgraded it to ‘ok’. Lots of room for improvement, though.
Bring on 2009. It’s a much better number than 2008. 2008 is numerologically pants.