Best series so far. No question. Most episodes were very good, the worst were mediocre at their lowest, and the best were up there with the triumphs of S1+2. Spoilers spoilers spoilers.
Did I mention there’ll be spoilers?
- Perfect performance from David Tennant. Last series he was excellent but for the occasional appearance of Emotional Angry Doctor, who’d have five seconds of shouting then go away again. No sign of him this time, but still the uncanny ability to go from endearingly goofy to deadly serious in a heartbeat, and it not seem at all unlikely. I didn’t think he’d be back for a third season – his not wanting to talk about it to the press suggested he’d be leaving – but he is, hurrah! Well, assuming he doesn’t go down on the Titanic, that is….
- Freema Agyeman improved dramatically throughout the series, and by the fourth or fifth episode was seamless.
- A three-parter, and a good, bittersweet, ending with a lovely story. Including the Doctor’s ‘ok’ in the final conversation with Martha, which was possibly the most moving line this series.
- The promise of a new companion, but continuing stories with Martha. Plenty of scope there.
- Captain Jack. Yes, he didn’t do much other than die a lot, but come on, it’s Captain Jack!
- Steven Moffat’s ‘Blink’, which was very clever and genuinely unnerving.
- No bloody cybermen. And no using the sonic screwdriver to cut a rope. That bothered me so much more than is reasonable.
- Plenty of snappy, witty dialogue, particularly from Russell T. Davies. He supposedly wrote five episodes, but to my ears there was a large 3:2 disparity, dialogue-wise. I wonder whether he just plotted the traffic jam and penultimate episodes?
- Rose’s ‘death’ being a major part of the show, rather than something the Doctor got over very quickly.
- Flash Gordon reference in the final scenes. Brilliant.
- Admit it, who saw the Face of Bo revelation coming?
Great entertainment all round. I’d like, however, to request that English Professor Doctor never return. Ever. I’d prefer to hang on to my girlfriend, and I’m not sure she’d cope with a reprisal.